Wednesday 11 March 2009

Even Sonic Team think Black Knight is stupid

Nah, this doesn't look preposterous. It's normal in a Sonic game now.

Sonic Team Producer Tetsu Katano has explained how he came up with Sonic and the Black Knight, and how he thinks the whole thing could have looked "preposterous".

Try does look preposterous.

Katano says his boss told him that "it would be up to me to think of an idea for the next one (in the Storybook series)". On coming up with the Arthurian setting, he said, "after much struggle that gave me both pain and joy, I finally decided to throw Sonic into a world of sword and magic. I confess that I've always wanted to see Sonic holding a sword". It does seem like Sonic was literally thrown into that setting, as there is no logical explanation for him being there, or his sword.

However, Katano was aware for this lack of logic: "perhaps most challenging was to make Sonic have a sword. I had to hold on to the Sonicness. If he loses that as a result of having sword, then it would be preposterous".

Well, I think Sonic's "Sonicness" is now described as being in useless child-friendly games with infinite characters, with nothing linking back to his 16-bit days. Sonic is so far departed from his former self, that I think Sonic Team have got this game bang-on.

Nowadays it would be a wild departure if Sonic was in a good game, let alone brandish a sword...

[Source: Kotaku]

No comments: