Sunday 29 March 2009

Why does Ultimate Collection feature SID music?

8580 for the win!

The recent compilation disc Mega Drive Ultimate Collection, perhaps following the trend of a certain YouTube fad, has an intro with very unfitting music. Having not bought the collection myself yet, I first realised this whilst watching a video review.

I know I am being quite picky, but to retro games experts such as myself (cough), using the SID chip to create music for a Mega Drive collection seems wrong.

For those who don't know, the SID was the sound chip used in the Commodore 64 computer, and was one of the greatest and most recognisable of all time.

You'd think for the intro they'd have used the Mega Drive's Yamaha YM2612 chip, or at least some samples from well-known games. But instead, they used an 8-bit sound chip to create some very generic-sounding video game music!

I don't know of many Mega Drive games to utilise music in this style, with delicious ultra-fast arpeggios among other things. The console had a sound all of its own, which should have been used in a context such as this.

I can imagine uninformed people buying the collection, listening to the intro music and saying "Oh, it's all coming back to me now! I can remember this music!". I can't help being so contrary, I'm a perfectionist!

Oh well, it's only a minor thing. I'll shut up now.
/END RANT

No comments: