Wednesday 29 October 2008

The Mega Drive turns 20!


Today marks the 20th anniversary of the Mega Drive's launch in Japan. It would go on to become Sega's most successful console, dominating the Western world's gaming scene up until the mid-'90s.

I got my Mega Drive II for my fifth birthday, and it has rarely been put away since. I regularly buy games for it, getting about two or three a month. Recently I have been trying to acquire a Mega CD and 32X to produce the ultimate gaming platform, however in the UK these can be rare and expensive.

Imagine my horror when I watched the Angry Video Game Nerd shoot his 32X with a burning arrow! What costs about the equivalent of 50p in the US can command prices as high as £80 in the UK.

I don't think I'll ever get bored of my Mega Drive, and I will probably still be playing it on its 40th birthday and beyond.

No comments: